Sunday, January 11, 2009

Last Day Before Surgery!

It's the last day I can bathe, wash my hair, reach my toes and have a hip that's not made out of metal and a smooth, scarless hip.

This pre-op period has been so difficult, wrought with sickness and discomfort. I have had so much to do, but have been able to do very little. I finally felt a lot better yesterday, but of course, used that renewed energy to go out and get some things done before I'll be unable to drive for two weeks. Stupid things like buying new eyeliner because my old one is almost out. I got gas even though my car will be sitting around for at least two weeks. I just don't want to have to deal with buying gas in the cold of winter on crutches! I tried to get my prescriptions filled, bought last minute things to take to eat at Adrian's, etc.

The end result was that I walked a lot and I haven't been able to do that in quite some time. Predictably, today I'm in a lot of pain. Took my last epsom salts bath. It's a fibromyalgia flare-up, which I haven't had in a while. Maybe I'm getting all these things out of the way before the surgery. Fibromyalgia is what my friend Bruckie would call "wavular". It comes and goes, flaring up and then subsiding. I am afraid of the effects of surgery on the fibromyalgia. It was after my last surgery that I developed the strange and painful symptoms that were eventually labled "fibromyalgia". Some people experience powerful flare-ups after surgery. My only hope is pain meds, the breathing I've learned from Joe Panella, mantra meditation and the good care I'm sure I'll have in the hospital, and especially when I get back to Adrian's.

No comments:

Post a Comment